Thu, June 4, 2015
The Langham Auckland has just added the New Zealand Hotel Industry Environmental Initiative Award to its already impressive line-up of environmental awards at a glitzy ceremony at the luxury Langham Auckland, as part of the annual New Zealand Hotel Industry Conference.
Having been awarded the EarthCheck Gold level of certification for the last four years, this latest Award especially recognises the innovation The Langham Auckland has shown above and beyond all others in order to neutralise its impact on the climate and environment.
The judges were impressed with how the hotel had “successfully integrated social and environmental considerations into its development and daily activities to help build a better world.”
These touch on its purchasing selection processes encouraging suppliers to adopt practises that minimise their environmental impact and working in partnership with suppliers to continually improve over that time.
- An online Carbon Emission and Carbon Saving Calculator that enables planners to find out the real environmental cost of an event and then select sustainable offerings to offset that
- A sustainable seafood policy which has seen it cease purchasing seafood and fish nominated as endangered, threatened or at risk, with a preference for purchasing seafood sourced from environmentally certified sources
- Participation in Earth Hour, including encouraging guests to turn off the lights in their rooms
- An induction programme which shares environmental initiatives with staff, and in turn encourages them to contribute their own ideas which has resulted in staff helping to clean up coastlines and Meatless Monday
- Energy, water and waste reduction schemes with measurable results and improvements
- A supplier code of conduct
- Community service and involvement, including sponsorship of Garden to Table which encourages young children to grow and cook their own seasonal fruit and vegetables.
Managing Director Franz Mascarenhas was once again delighted the five-star hotel is leading the way in sustainability in New Zealand.
In his acceptance speech last night, he thanked the award sponsors Greenfield, and his colleagues at the hotel, especially the Connect Committee, who work hard to introduce and maintain the hotel’s strict environmental initiatives.
“I stand here with all humility to accept this on behalf of the hotel. I just want to say thank you to all my colleagues who have been part of this endeavour and to our Connect Committee who do a lot of work for the environment.
“This has been a sustained effort. We’re part of EarthCheck; we’ve been Gold recipients for the past 5 years and we hope to achieve Platinum Certification in 2016. This will make us one of the first hotels in Asia Pacific to do so. This comes with a definite passion to look after our environment. I’m just thrilled on behalf of all my colleagues to recieve this award.”
As part of the prize, The Langham Auckland received a $500 gift card which they have donated to the Garden to Table Trust, one of their official charities.
Marketing Communications Manager
The Langham, Auckland
Tel: 64 (9) 300 2817 / (64) 275 476 335