Corporate Social Responsibility
The Langham Melbourne Environmental and Social Policy Statement
The Langham Melbourne is a 388 room hotel located on the banks of the Yarra River in the precinct of Southgate, Melbourne Australia. The property occupies 34,042 m2 of real-estate that includes 66 Executive Club Rooms, 11 Langham Club Suites and 1 Presidential Suite. The hotel has a total function space of around 1,368 m2 and contains one restaurant, a club lounge, a cocktail bar, a business centre, Chaun Spa, a health club, 24 hour room service and underground parking facilities.
As a global five star luxury hotel The Langham Melbourne is committed to minimising the environmental impacts associated with the normal operation of the hotel in an environmentally sustainable manner. As an environmentally conscious company, we are committed to identifying and refining existing plans and policies, ensuring compliance with existing and future best practice standards, legislation and benchmarking in order to achieve sustainability.
In order to meet our stated objectives we will continue to develop, implement and refine an internal Environmental Management System to record, measure and document our stated environmental objectives whilst ensuring the social well being of our colleagues, guests and suppliers.
To further ensure we are operating to the highest environmental standards possible, the hotel will ensure that all colleagues are aware of and have the necessary skills and awareness of the hotels plans and policies to carry out their roles and responsibilities efficiently.
The hotel will also benchmark all utility and resource consumption to affectively identify and measure current operational performance. The Langham Melbourne commits to:
- Reducing energy and resource consumption
- Implement the use of environmentally friendly products and services
- Reduce waste going to landfill
- Training colleagues through the group wide ‘Green Team’ program &
- Working with suppliers, clients and guests to develop and implement best practice standards to ensure sustainability.
Environmental and Social Policy Commitments
In order to fulfill our stated objectives the hotel will;
Ensure compliance with local and federal government environmental legislations, plans and policies.
- Evaluate industry and implement international best practice standards and procedures
- Measure, record and implement where possible plans to remedy both local and global environmental impacts.
- Work with colleagues, clients, guests and suppliers to create an internal Environmental Management System.
- Empower our colleagues to join and support our group wide internal Green Team.
- Develop and implement guest participation and awareness of the hotels environmental plans and policies through the implementation of Langham Hotels International ‘Guests of the Earth’ program.
Our Internal Green Team Committee endeavors to
- Audit our current operations via an internal Departmental audit to define consumption-supply-use and disposal volumes.
- Develop and define key benchmarking indicators through the hotels participation in the internationally recognized and endorsed International Tourism Partnership-Benchmarking Program.
- Apply the hotels audited profile against the requirements of 3rd party benchmark programs to determine our current environmental foot print.
- Communicate to the suppliers of goods and materials to the hotel our environmental philosophy and encourage and support them in achieving common goals and partnership objectives.